The Risk Awareness team provides the insurance industry and policyholders with threat led intelligence and horizon scanning research on all aspects of the terrorism peril to help organisations better understand and therefore manage the risk.
Our research directly supports the efforts of our Risk Modelling and Risk Consultancy teams. Risk Awareness experts are drawn from a range of backgrounds, including the police, government, military and academia, offering unique perspectives and experiences on all aspects of terrorism risk.
Threat-led, high quality intelligence is central to all our Risk Awareness products. Our experts are from a wide variety of backgrounds, including military, government, police and academia. We draw on cross-industry, academic and government partnerships and collaborations to produce high quality analysis, reports and assessments that are tailored to the need of (re)insurance and risk management professionals.
Our work supports:
- Cutting-edge actuarial modelling, using data and analysis harvested from a comprehensive range of databases
- Crucial partnership working with specialist think tanks and leading universities such as Cranfield and the Judge Business School at Cambridge
- A range of unique relationships across Government, in particular the Home Office and Counter Terrorism Police
- International collaboration with other terrorism reinsurance pools around the world to inform our view of the global risk and how to manage it most effectively
- Thought leadership: we produce commentary and opinion on significant events or topics affecting the United Kingdom’s security or international counter-terrorism efforts
- Statistical analysis: we use data provided from the Global Terrorism Database (GTD), compiled by the University of Maryland, to provide quantitative reporting on recent trends in terrorist tactics and targeting. The GTD is the most comprehensive database on terrorist attacks available worldwide. We enhance the data with our own analysis and machine learning to improve its accuracy and its utility to the wider (re)insurance market and our partners.
- Threat monitoring and reporting: we monitor developments in all aspects of the terrorism and counter-terrorism and provide regular summaries and analysis of developments pertinent to our Members and their Policyholders
- Bespoke assessments: these include wider sector vulnerability reporting, deeper dives into novel and emerging technologies used by terrorist actors, and more focused reporting for specific stakeholders
We partner with a wide range of government and private organisations to inform our analysis. Some of the organisations we work with include:
- Office for Security and Counter-terrorism at the Home Office
- Cabinet Office
- Centre for Protection of National Infrastructure
- National Counter Terrorism Security Office
- Royal United Services Institute
- Cranfield University
- Cambridge University’s Judge Business School
- International Forum of Terrorism Risk (Re)Insurance Pools (IFTRIP)
Risk Awareness dashboard
Number of attacks
in minor loss band (<$1m)
Number of attacks
in major loss band ($1m-$1bn)