What is the BioTerrorism Livestream Conference?
The largest BioTerrorism (Re)Insurance conference of its kind.
This timely virtual conference, co-hosted with the BioRISC team, St Catharine’s’ College, Cambridge will provide delegates with a better understanding of the malicious use of biological pathogens and the threat of terrorist actors using biological agents to cause mass casualties and significant economic damage.
Scheduled over two afternoons, the event will feature a broad range of esteemed speakers and panellists. Mr. Vladimir Voronkov, Under-Secretary-General for Counter-Terrorism will provide a keynote address.
Confirmed speakers include Alistair Darling, former Chancellor of the Exchequer, Lord Mark Sedwill – former Cabinet Secretary and National Security Advisor, The Rt Hon Amber Rudd – former Home Secretary and Bruce Carnegie-Brown – Chairman of Lloyd’s of London.
Who should attend?
The Conference will provide delegates an opportunity to reflect on the increasing threat of Bioterrorism and the potentially catastrophic consequences of such an event. Experts will share their experiences, perspectives and responses to those challenges we are currently facing with the ongoing pandemic, putting this in context with a similar type of event triggered by a malicious actor.
Many of our delegates will be working in industry, with the CT agencies, in government policy departments, as Security Directors or in academia and will appreciate the importance of both understanding and responding to the rapidly changing biothreat landscape. They may also be responsible within their organisation for risk planning and preparation, response and recovery to such an event.
This Conference will cover:
- Knowledge: Do we know enough about the threat? How do we better understand the how the threat is evolving?
- Threat and risk scenarios: Is there evidence of malicious intent? What is the likelihood of terrorist actors having access to and using biological agents?
- Modelling and Pricing the risk: Can we better understand and quantify bio-terrorism scenarios?
- Response and Recovery: In light of the catastrophic impact we are experiencing with COVID-19, how do we make sure we are prepared and have access to the resources, tools and skills required in aftermath of an attack?
- Science & Technology: How are advances in science and technology shaping the biothreat landscape? Is there a greater role to be played by scientists and other experts in informing policy responses?
- Resilience: What are the current (Re)Insurance responses to a bio-terror event? Does this reflect the risk? Can more be done?
- Evaluation: A comprehensive paper will be produced following the event which will provide information, analysis and key recommendations.
Ensuring appropriate response strategies
The main purpose of this two-day event is to raise awareness of the bioterrorism threat, assess appropriate response management strategies and identify key decisions for Government, business and the (Re)Insurance industry to mitigate and close any protection gap.
Comprehensive Post Conference Report
Additionally, the outcomes will contribute to collective on-going research into bioterrorism. A comprehensive Post Conference Report will include key findings and recommendations, which will be jointly published by Pool Re, BioRISC and the Sponsors and distributed to key decision makers.
“Guy Carpenter, as the leading broker for terrorism reinsurance, is supporting this conference to enable thought sharing on a topic that, following the covid-19 pandemic, has become a prescient threat vector.”
“Emergent BioSolutions Inc. is proud to sponsor Pool-Re’s BioTerrorism Livestream Conference.
Emergent believes that strategic preparedness to mitigate the impact of bioterrorism is best delivered through long-term partnerships between governments, academia and industry. Emergent specializes in medical countermeasures that target serious public health threats.”
“The intent of terrorists to use biological weapons is nothing new and they will have been observing closely the effect of the current pandemic on our government, health system, economy, security and societies. We need to make sure we are prepared and able to mitigate such a catastrophic event happening.”
The event takes place on 24-25 March 2021
A focus on improving the understanding of the threat of bioterrorism, the science & technology behind it and the political context and government decision making processes used to manage strategic crises.
A focus on looking at the response (political, health, scientific, industry), decontamination challenges, (re)insurance issues, consequence management and risk mitigations.
Register for the event
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
*Please note access to this event is restricted. Delegates are invited to register for the event by submitting their details on this page. Confirmation of registration will follow.
The event will be 100% virtual, using a bespoke digital platform, thereby guaranteeing the safety and COVID-19 security of our guests.
Use of your personal information
When you accept an invitation to join one of our events, we need to process your personal information in order to administer the event. In particular:
- Your job title and organisation may be included on a delegate list, which may be made available to those attending the event;
- We may share your information with our employees, officers, representatives and/or sub-contractors in connection with the administration of the event and to ensure your notified requirements (if any) are met; and
- Your information may be shared with other organisations taking part in the event.